Sunday, March 24, 2013

Yee-Haw!

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo just ended, and it definitely did not disappoint.  This was the second year that Steve and I have been on a committee (Go Speaker's Committee!), which means that we volunteer leading up to the Show, and in return, receive badges that give us unlimited access.  Last year, I had a newborn so the only event I made it to was the BBQ cook-off.  But this year, ahhh this year, I definitely got my money's worth!

First I went to the BBQ cook-off which is a massive party.  When I say massive, I'm not exaggerating.  There are hundreds of teams, each with their own tent, and tens of thousands of people who come out to eat BBQ, drink adult beverages, and have a fabulous time!  Steve was away for the weekend, so I tagged along with some friends.
 

Then, Steve and I went with some friends of ours to see Zac Brown Band.  I always liked them, but now, they are my new favorite band.

We then went with some of Steve's co-workers on a Saturday and took Davis along so he could see the animals.

And eat a turkey leg.

I then went back with some of my friends and the kiddos early on a Tuesday so we could beat the crowds.  That is the way to do this thing!  We were able to enjoy the petting zoo...until a fallow deer started eating dresses, and an alpaca pushed a child to the ground.



(Davis seemed to bond with the goats.)

We also saw a calf that was born about 4 hours earlier.  It wasn't really nursing all that well, so they brought in a bottle and the kids watched them feed the calf. (Poor mama cow was still waiting on her nurse to come clean her up....be thankful this picture caught this end of her.)
 Davis watched this chick hatch from it's shell.  I couldn't believe it kept his attention for so long.
 He got to pet bunnies and guinea pigs.
And even met Howdy, the mascot of the Show.
Then this happened:
 
And I melted.  And have not been the same since.

Here are the little cowboys/cowgirls:
In awe of the roller coaster.

The next day, a friend of mine and I ventured back to the Show (that's what we insiders call the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo if you haven't caught on yet) the following day to do this:
Why yes, that is a funnel cake, fried cheesecake, 2 turkey legs, and a chicken kabob.  And yes, we were still in our workout clothes when we at this monstrosity.  And yes, I do still feel sick.  But yes, it was de-lish-ous!  Thanks for asking.

Our final night of the visiting the Show was for the Jake Owen concert.  I really don't know too many of his songs, but he put on a really good concert.  You can tell he is newer in the business and still having fun.




So, moral of the story: next year, late February to mid-March, come to Houston and go to the Show.  But, try to go in the middle of the week early in the day.  It was perfect. 




No comments:

Post a Comment