Sunday, August 14, 2011

Watch out for that large angry woman!

One thing I have learned through all of this is that you don't mess with a pregnant woman, cause she won't take it.  This week, I experienced a level of anger I have never experienced before.  In hindsight, it may not have been worthy of this title, but at the time, I could not be reasoned with.  Poor Steve just had to bite his tongue and agree with me.

Here's the scoop:

Remember my post about my doctor and his co-workers?  Well, I think that tipped everything off.  I was already unhappy about my rushed ultrasound, the confusion about how far along I actually am, and Steve taking off work to come for the doctor speak all of 2 words to him; and so the coming events just made matters worse. 

I had an appointment scheduled for last Monday but had to reschedule it because it was my first day of work and thought it would be poor form to already need time off.  They moved it to this Wednesday and then I got a phone call from the doctor's PA asking if I could reschedule and moved it to last Thursday.  This was not ideal due to work but my boss insisted that it was OK.  I asked her when rescheduling if it would be better to meet the following week because it may be easier to do the gender ultrasound.  She then asked if anyone had called me to schedule it.  Excuse me?  Why would that need to happen?  I have already had 2 ultrasounds done in the office and you told me, and I quote, "WE do the gender ultrasound at 16 weeks."  She explained that they do that ultrasound off-site and a separate appointment would need to be scheduled for that.  Lovely, just more time off at my brand new job....no biggie.  Grrrrrr....

Still annoyed by this new development, I talked to a college friend of mine who told me that she is also expecting.  This is so exciting!  We can go through this together and then our babies can be little buddies!  My complete joy for my friend wore off a little when she told me that she is at 7 weeks and they heard the heartbeat that day.  Huh?????  You did what?????  My doctor hasn't even attempted to hear the heartbeat yet.  I thought this was normal.  This isn't normal????  I want to hear the heartbeat!  Why haven't I heard the heartbeat????  I saw it flashing at me, why didn't she turn up the volume??????  She then told me that her brother (who's wife is exactly as far along as I am) found out the gender 2 days ago.  I was now beginning to see red.  Why am I being short-changed all of these experiences???? 

Steve noticed the small drops of sweat forming on my brow due to my rage and asked what was wrong.  After I explained that I wanted a new doctor STAT, he said I may be overreacting.  I immediately got on facebook and explained my situation to 2 of my pregnant friends and they supported me 200%.  I said, "See Steve, I'm not crazy!  They agree with me completely.  This doctor is as good as fired!"  And so he, very wisely, began to agree with me.  I did agree to go to the appointment and try to speak to the doctor.  If I wasn't satisfied, I would collect my medical records and be on my way. 

The day of my appointment approached and I received a phone call from the lovely PA that morning, asking if I could move the appointment up an hour.  I explained that I can't just leave work whenever I want, but I would try.  A co-worker was sitting in my office when I got this call and could tell I was annoyed.  When I explained the situation, she immediately said, "Get rid of that doctor and go to mine.  I LOVED my doctor.  It was the most amazing experience."  She explained to me all of the great things about her doctor and how she is affiliated with Texas Children's Hospital and so (God forbid we needed it) we would get in with no problems.  SOLD!   

I made an appointment with this new doctor and then called my current doctor letting them know that I wouldn't be making my appointment but would be by to pick up my medical records before they closed.  They put me on the phone with the PA who proceeded to start every sentence with "Sweetie."  If I could have, I would have reached through the phone and injured this girl.  First of all, don't use pet names with people you don't know....huge pet peeve of mine.  Secondly, if someone is upset and you start doing this, you sound like the condescending biotch that you are.  The rage returned. 

When I got to the office, the nice lady at the front desk informed me that it would be $25 for my medical records.  However, it would have been free if I had asked them to fax them to my new doctor.  EXCUSE ME??????  Don't you think that is information this good-for-nothing PA should have told me on the phone??????  I literally almost lost it at this point, and she could obviously tell, because she handed me my records and told me not to worry about it.  She agreed that the PA should have told me about this.  Ya think?!?!?!?

So, I have my appointment with my new doctor tomorrow afternoon and I am praying and crossing my fingers that I will not only get to hear the heartbeat, but will also find out the gender.  Since this is most likely the only time I will be pregnant, I don't want to miss out on things....dang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment