After the floors are done, I will have a big cleaning job and then we are ready for our tenants. Yes, we found tenants! We have been talking to them for a few weeks, but I didn't want to say anything about them and jinx it. They turned in the application, and barring being a serial killers or chronically being evicted, a couple and their 2 kids will be the perfect family for our little house. Here's the best part though, the tenant's uncle owns an A/C company and he installed A/C's for him for 11 years. When we told him the A/C situation and that we were going to put in new window units for the time being he said he could sell us the units at cost and install them for a month's rent. DEAL!
(I just realized I took this before the grass was mowed. It looks nicer now.)It looks like this first rental project has been a success. We definitely hit a few bumps in the road and learned a lot from this project. Here are the top 5 things I learned:
1. We were a little ambitious. Next time we will find a house that doesn't need quite so much work. With all of the foreclosures happening, there are some great houses out there at great prices.
2. Always go with the middle quote. Typically the most expensive is ripping you off or will do a much nicer job than is necessary for a small rental, and the cheapest guy is Marco and his sidekick Polo.
3. Dale is a God-send....and my new BFF.
4. I need to learn more Spanish.
5. The people at Home Depot are the best.
This just in! Special Announcement! Ray just called to confirm tomorrow and said they are going to try to bleach the pet stains to see what happens. Fingers Crossed!!!!