Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Watch Out...I might get a little deep on you.

Today I did a lot of painting. It was nice to have the monotonous task that didn't require much thought because aside from now having the skills and strength to fight off a Cobra Kai if needed, I also had a lot of time to think.

If you didn't understand the Cobra Kai reference, I would like you to do 2 things. First, slap yourself on the wrist. Shame on you! Second, watch this clip:



Now that we are all on the same page and have revisited one of the most powerful films of our time, I can share with you my thoughts from the day.

The other day at lunch, Dale and I were talking about Steve and he shared with me how much Steve's friendship has done for him and how Steve has had a positive influence on him. What a nice compliment! This isn't the first time I have heard this either. At our wedding, Steve's best man said that his grandmother asked him what was the biggest influence on his success and he said it was his friendship with Steve. In those speeches, you expect to hear how much they love you and a few funny stories, but Gary went straight to those flattering words. In my life, I would be humbled to hear something like that from one person, but to hear it several times is incredible. Now, I am not trying to put Steve on this pedestal of perfection, he is flawed just like the rest of us, but something I have noticed from him is how is makes a point of living by example and challenging others to be their better self. He has certainly done this for me.

This had me thinking about all of the people in my life who have made me a better person. Obviously every person you come in contact with has an effect on you, but there are those certain individuals who stand out as constantly asking you to be your best self. When is the last time you told one of those people about the effect they have had on you? When is the last time you thanked them? People ask all the time, "What do you want people to say about you at your funeral?" Well, why wait for their funeral? Why not tell them now while they can know that they made a difference in this world?

A wonderful woman in the San Francisco office of Tom James shared that one of her goals is to be a blessing to every person she comes in contact with everyday. If you know who I am talking about, I'm sure you will agree that she succeeds. She is always armed with a bright smile, a sweet hello, and a compliment to make you feel special. It gets to the point where you start to wonder, "Is this girl for real?" and the more interaction I have with her, I believe more and more that she is. How hard would it be to be a blessing to every person you come in contact with? Just a smile and a simple gesture could change someone's day.

There is so much evil in the world, and I fear that through the news, television, movies, etc we are becoming cold and hardened toward mankind; be it because of fear, self preservation, or other personal reasons. I know I catch myself dropping my gaze so I don't make eye contact with a stranger or picking up my speed while walking so I won't have an encounter with someone, but who knows how I could effect someone's day if I took the time to acknowledge them. Most all of us have experienced the tragedy of losing someone we love, and if you remember back to that day, you can't help but notice that everyone around you is going on with their day to day lives while you are living one of the worst days of your life. How do you know if someone else is having one of the worst days of their lives and a warm smile might lift their spirits just a bit? Wouldn't that be worth the effort of forming a smile?

I am challenging myself as well as anyone reading this to set a goal of being a blessing on anyone you come in contact with today (or tomorrow if you are reading this at night....no easy-outs here!). I am betting that we will have a better day ourselves.

Alright, I know this didn't have anything to do with construction and maybe I should lay off the paint fumes for awhile, but I just thought I would share my thoughts during my Karate Kid training.

2 comments:

  1. PS...I didn't name the people who have influenced me on purpose because I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or upset if they aren't listed. I'll address each of you individually.
    And yes, Kristi, you are definitely a blessing to all. :)

    ReplyDelete