Sunday, April 10, 2011

I didn't forget the point.

I realize that lately this blog has NOTHING to do with it's title.  The reason for this is that we don't have any projects in the works.  Here is my explanation/excuse why:

Steve and I are chomping at the bit to buy another home to fix up and have as a rental, but want to wait until I have my Real Estate license so we can put the commission toward the closing costs or improvements.  I have taken the necessary classes, completed my application, and am waiting for the OK to go get my fingerprints done and take the test.  My application was sent in before Christmas and I got an email a few weeks ago that my education requirements were not fulfilled.  I called to explain that I am a college graduate and do not need to take the extra 3 classes and was told that I need to send in my transcripts.  Transcripts????  What, are we in High School?  In the almost 10 years that I have been out of college, I have never ONCE needed my transcripts (and I have had my RE license in 2 other states).  The lady proceeded to shame me for not having an extra copy on hand and suggested that I order some for future use.  I told her that I went to a major university and no one but them has ever questioned it.  Grrrrr......

So, I ordered transcripts from UF (which involved signing onto the UF website using my student ID number...which of course, I didn't have so I had to call UF to get it), paid my $12 per transcript (I took the lady's advice and ordered an extra, although I'll probably never need it), and received them on Friday.  I will send them in tomorrow and hopefully will be able to get the go-ahead from the state very soon.  Of course, now I need to go take a review course since I haven't looked at any RE notes since Thanksgiving.  This has been the BIGGEST hassle...I would have expected it from Illinois, but not Texas...and I'm hoping it is almost done. 

We took out a home equity line of credit to use toward the next property so we don't drain our checking account again.  Everything is in place but this damn license!

On a happier note, our tenants continue to pay their rent on time and are keeping the property up (I did a drive by to show my parents).  I also haven't had any complaints from the neighbors, who I think have my number on speed dial, so everyone must be playing nicely. 

I called her about the dog shortly after I wrote about it here, and asked when she was sending the pet deposit.  She said she discovered she is allergic and they were getting rid of it that day and would let me know if they decided to get another one.  I told her that there would be no more dogs and I was very relieved they were getting rid of this one.  Well, Dale went back about 3 weeks later to finish up some work and realized that the dog, Patches, was still there.  I was FUMING and sent her a text asking when I could expect the deposit for Patches.  She told me that her son had begged for them to keep him until the food ran out and that it had, conveniently, ran out that day and so he was off to the pound.  I was hoping she wouldn't be there when I drove by with my parents so I could go check if the dog is still there, but she was home.  I think I will do another drive by when I take my parents back to the airport and check, whether she is there or not. 

If this is the biggest problem we run into with them, I think we are pretty lucky. 

So, the moral of this story is that until I am able to take the Real Estate test, you will continue to be exposed to whatever I feel like talking about.  Stay strong...the houses will return eventually.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog posts even more b/c they're not about fixing up houses, but maybe that's just me :)

    ReplyDelete